Saturday 21 March 2015

Process of Making the Model


Wire frame with millilput
So I finally started making my model!

After getting all of the tools I need; a wooden base, metal rod, aluminium wire, fresh milliput and carving tools, the first task I had to do was bend and cut the wire into the right shape.

The wire was fairly easy to manipulate, since it's thick, soft, and easy to cut with scissors; so I could bend it around the metal rod on the stand to attach to my model.

The way in which I attached it all was with milliput. After making 3 wire parts to stick together (the torso/head, the legs and the arms) I mixed the two elements of the milliput together to form a mixed substance. This hardens after an hour, so applying it to the wire in the right places can form the muscle of your armature (for example the image on the top left).

A problem that occured while applying the milliput was that the top half of the model was very heavy, so wouldn't stay up right as the milliput was setting; to resolve this I wrapped another piece of aluminium wire around the rod and set it into the top half of the torso. This allowed it to stay upright so it could set properly.

Base layer of plasticine
After this part was done, I applied a base coat to my model. I did this to establish the areas on which I would be molding and so I can apply the right amounts of plasticine to it. With just the base coat on, the proportions look strange and slightly wrong in places such as the neck.

Despite this I carried on with my plan to shape the top half of the model. The arms were the hardest part to manipulate since I had to apply elbows to it, which was awkward to shape. However once I had done this I could start building up the shoulders, which made the neck look better.

The torso overall was the most fun part for me to do; This is where I could get the most emphasis on the shapes to really show the difference between the two figures. I didn't encounter any problems with this section, it was just about applying the right amount of plasticine and spreading it evenly.

So far I believe I have done well with developing my model. Using my drawing as reference to make sure each shape it right. I am looking forward to carrying it on and getting to the next stage of the process!
Applying the basic shape of the torso

No comments:

Post a Comment