Tuesday 12 January 2016

3D Animation Finished!

Overall my final animation turned out well. I moved his back slightly as he lifts his stomach to make him look less stiff; looking back I wish I had exaggerated it more but I am happy with the animation in the bounce.

Applying the floating shapes gives the piece an idea of perspective; though there is a sense of surrealism with using random objects floating. it represents the start of the 3D animation industry. 'Tron' was the first film to use elements of 3D animation, which included floating shapes in the background, so my use of shapes is supposed to reflect where CGI started.

The character movements are smooth and work well, but the rig does look stiff and standing straight for most of the sequence; if I had more time I'd try and loosen up the actions.

What could have made the piece better is if I had rendered half of the sequence, to represent the process of making 3D animation itself.

Despite all of these changes I would make, the concept of him discovering himself and his environment is there





As a technique, it is popular among artists in the industry and audiences alike, with many successful films representing this technique of animating. I personally enjoy using this method, because it is generally a straightforward piece of software to use while animating, especially for the concepts I have made.

It is generally popular because of the amount of detail that can be applied to it; for example in 'The Lego Movie', the artists created such detailed, realistic models, that move as if they are real lego bricks that it creates the illusion of a stop motion film, drawing the audience into that reality. They animated it on the computer so they could have more leeway into how the characters move, yet still had the capabilities to create it accurate to the toys they were observing.

This is just one example of how CGI can be applied to an unlimited amount of creativity, and demonstrates why most companies opt to using this technique in their work.

Based on my own experience with it and the amount of good quality work that is out there already, I would definitely say CG is a big step into the future; with more practice and application, CG has the potential to be a beautiful art form, and has already taken over as the winning technique to use in box office.


No comments:

Post a Comment